AIM OF THIS COURSE
This course will take the learner through all the steps required to confidently identify all the major gemstones.
These steps include a basic but comprehensive understanding of how and where gemstones form; their unique chemical, physical and optical properties; and how to use this information to test gemstones using standard gemmological instruments.
The course consists of 10 lessons and 2 tests – together with 2 hours of online tutoring with one of our instructors.
- The origin and chemical nature of gemstones
- Physical and optical properties
- Basic crystallography
- The absorption of light and the spectroscope
- The 3 Rs – Reflection, Refraction and the Refractometer
- Polarised light and polariscope
- Pleochroism, the dichroscope and colour filters
- Specific gravity
- Magnification and thermal conductivity
WHO IS IT FOR
Whether you have a general interest in coloured gemstones or would like to start studying to become a gemmologist, the Basic Gemmology Course is the perfect first step.
WHAT YOU EARN
Upon the successful completion of this course you will receive a certificate of completion and course credits towards the Career Gemmologist Diploma and Coloured Gemstone Professional Diploma Programs.
Practical courses associated with the Diploma courses will be offered from September.
- No prerequisite is needed.
- This course is available for long distance learning. You can register at any time and study at your own pace.
- There are no time restrictions.
- Price is £180 (Digital); the courses are also available in print at an additional cost.
- No basic gem testing equipment is included in the cost of this course.
- Please note prices are given before tax. For UK residents VAT (20%) must be added.