AIM OF THIS COURSE
The field of gemmology is consistently evolving, particularly in the various treatments, imitations, and methods of synthesis now available to improve and alter the appearance of a gemstone, or simply to deceive the unsuspecting buyer.
This advanced online course will offer the learner a comprehensive and up-to-date knowledge on all the available methods of treatment, imitation, and synthesis and how to confidently identify them using standard and advanced gem testing.
The course consists of 22 lessons and 2 tests – together with 4 hours of online tutoring with one of our instructors.
- Imitation stones
- Composite assembled stones
- Verneuil flame fusion method
- Czochralski pulling method
- Flux melt method
- Hydrothermal method
- Skull crucible method
- Zone melt method
- Horizontally oriented crystallisation method
- Synthesis of diamonds
- Sublimation method
- Modified Stober method
- Jadeite, lapis lazuli, turquoise, malachite and coral
- Less common lab-created gemstones
- Introduction to gemstone treatments and enhancements
- Heat treatment
- Surface and sub-surface diffusion
- Fracture filling
- HPHT treatment
- Surface modifications
- Advanced gem testing techniques
WHO IS IT FOR
For students who have completed the Basic Gemmology course and wish to know more or for experienced gemmologists who want to refresh their knowledge, this course is the perfect next step.
WHAT YOU EARN
- Prerequisite needed: Basic Gemmology
- This course is available for long distance learning. You can register at any time and study at your own pace.
- There are no time restrictions.
- Price is £360 (Digital); the courses are also available in print at an additional cost.
- No basic gem testing equipment is included in the cost of this course.
- Please note prices are given before tax. For UK residents VAT (20%) must be added.